Winter is here to come and children are prone to infections more. If you fed up with your children falling prey to the seasonal disease more easily, it is time to up their immunity. Apart from giving them healthy food it is a good practice to give vaccination on time, maintain good hygiene, exercise, good bathing and sleeping schedules, outdoor games etc. will make them resistant to germs.
If your baby is under 6months of age, stick to breastfeeding as it improve overall health of the kid as they receive immunity boosting antibodies from their mothers. It is also advisable to put few drops of breastmilk in the nostrils and eyes for this very reason during infections, cold and coughs.
When it comes to healthy immunity boosting food, always prefer fresh fruits and vegetables. Include salads and cooked food in their diet so that they get much needed vitamins, minerals and antibodies. It is suggested to include 3 parts of vegetable and 2 parts of fruits per day.
In addition to these, you can include the following immunity boosting foods:
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, fenugreek, contain vitamins and antioxidants that improve digestion and also boost immunity.
- Vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbage, cayenne pepper, green peas, and squash contain antioxidants.
Citrus fruits are rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants. All the berry fruits also stand a good source of Vit C.
- Include Oranges, pomegranate, guava, apricots, tomatoes, strawberry, blue berries, plums etc as per the season and availability.
- Carrots, sweet potatoes and beetroots are immense in antioxidants, beta carotene, nutrients that surely improves overall health of the kids. They also help increase weight for the underweight kids.
- Onions on the other hand has Sulphur that can also boost the taste and provide necessary immunity.
- You can either boil these roots or cook as part of curry and feed.
- Yogurt or curd is rich in Probiotics which fight against microorganisms and also suggested to ward of infections during seasonal changes.
Dry fruits and whole grains
- Pulses are rich in protein to build the body. Include various lentils and dals to boost the body buildup.
- Dry fruits such as almonds, walnuts, dates, dry grapes, and dry figs are high in Vitamin E that boost immunity.
- Also add sprouted grains to improve nutrients and vitamins in the diet.
- Include Ginger, Garlic and Pepper in the food daily. These will ward off the infections at a rapid pace.
- You can also provide a spoon of Tulsi juice if you wish.
- If you do not have tulsi at home, add Basil and pepper powder to the soups. It is also advised to feed soups during fever, cold and cough to give a lot of relief to the disease kid.