Sathumavu is a wholesome food which helps your babies to gain weight. It is a iron rich, well-balanced health drink for infants as well as adults. It is good for pregnant and breastfeeding women as well.
White Rice/ Brown Rice – ½ cup
Black lentils (Urad Dal) – ½ cup
Green Gram – ½ cup
Roasted Gram (Chana) – ½ cup
Green gram (Moong Dal) – ½ cup
Red lentils (Masoor Dal) – ½ cup
Broken Wheat (Dalia) – ½ cup
Barley – ¼ cup
Finger Millet (Ragi) – ¼ cup
Sago (Saabudana) – ¼ cup
Horse Gram (Kulthi) – ¼ cup
Corn (Makka) – ¼ cup
Almond (Badam) – ¼ cup
Cashew (Kaju) – ¼ cup
Cardamom – 4 no
Elaichi – 2 or 3
Optional: Oats and Sesame seeds – 1/4 cup each.
- Soak Rice, pulses and nuts separately for about an hour in a steel bowl. Air-dry them for about 30 minutes.
- Dry roast Urad dal and green gram for 5 minutes until it turns brown. Cool down the roasted ingredients.
- Dry roast moong dal for 5 mins until it turns golden brown. Cool down the roasted dal.
- Roast Sago, oats until they pop and turn golden in colour. Let it cool down.
- Now add rice, barley,and horse gram together and dry roast it until the rice is little puffed. Cool down the roasted ingredients.
- Roast wheat daliya for 5mins until it turns golden brown. Let it cool down.
- Then dry roast the almonds and cashews together until cashews turn golden in color and cool it down.
- Once all the dry roasted ingredients are cooled down properly, take them in a mixer except cardamom.
- Blend everything together to make a fine powder. Finally add cardamom and dry ginger and blend it for 30 seconds.
- Blend the mixture once again to ensure that the texture of finely milled. You can filter the mixture to remove any coarse grains and reblend it.
- Transfer the mixture into a wide plate and let it cool down.
- Transfer the contents into an airtight container and tightly close the lid.
Preparation of Cerelac:
You can start from 1/2 teaspoon per meal for infants and slowly increase the quantity to 2 teaspoons. You can also mix sathumavu to other foods and serve it to your baby.
- Take about a teaspoon of mixture (or the amount your baby eats) in a steel bowl.
- Add 1 cup of water to it.
- Mix the content well to remove any lumps.
- You can add vegetable or leafy greens to the mixture if you want to increase the sweetness of the porridge.
- Keep the bowl on sim and let it cook for about 10 -15 minutes or until the ingredients are well cooked.
- Cool down the porridge and serve it to the baby.